Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Southernisms



Have you ever been out of town traveling or visiting family when at some point you realize you feel like a foreigner speaking another language?   I’m telling you, it even happens when I go to Atlanta now for the Gift Mart.  So many folks from the north have moved to Atlanta that you don’t really even hear the thick, elegant, marbles-in-the-mouth, slow speak like we used to.  Honey, they don’t even understand me at the Mart.  In fact, people come by my booth and tell me to just talk so they can hear my Southern accent.  I should charge for it really, but I don’t.  I love people but it is kind of crazy that they want me to just T-A-L-K!

Anyway, I was with my kids, husband, mom and sister on vacation a few weeks ago (diving for scallops, but that’s another story) and we started laughing about the things we Southerners say that no one else would understand.   We even tried to remember what these sayings really mean and we have no clue.  So, just for fun, I thought I’d share some of these with you. 

For cryin’ out loud (We use that one when we are surprised but a little agitated.)

Well, I’ll be.  (Says:  I’m not sure really what to think of that, but I’m buying time if I say this drawn out over several seconds so I can collect my thoughts)

All kit and caboodle.  (Everything)

Lord willing and the creek don’t rise (A final word on pending travel, event, health or making it through  extreme weather. Usually said softly with the head turned down as in prayer.)

I’m fixin’ to.  (I’m about to. . .)

Bless your heart.  (This can be delivered in two ways: as a sweet supportive comment, or just plain pity... usually pity)

Gimme some sugar.  (A kiss.)

Madder than a wet hen!  (Really angry.  Hens don’t like to get wet.)

What in Tarnation!?  (As a little girl, I always wondered if ‘tarnation’ was a place.  I have nothing to explain this one, but it’s used with huge surprise and near disgust.  As kids, our parents used it when they found something we’d done, like fillin' the sugar bowl with salt (as a silly prank).

Come to think of it, I think part of the reason we never really heard curse words growing up and the south is perceived as being more gentile and mannerly is because we had our southern sayings to use in place of bad words.   It takes a whole lot longer to say, ‘for cryin’ out loud’, than ‘crap.’    What in hells bells" is much nicer than "what the hell” or worse, and "I’m madder than a wet hen!” is much nicer to hear than, “I’m pissed off.”  

Besides, it’s kind of fun to have our own way of expressing our emotions and thoughts.  What am I thinking now?     Well, for cryin’ out loud, I can’t tell you that.  If I did you’d probably have a conniption and fall cattywampus right out the door – all kit and caboodle.

Sending you some sugar.  Lord willing and the creek don’t rise,
Lauri Jo.  

P.S. Feel free to comment with some of your own Southern sayings... I love 'em!

5 comments:

  1. I love this! My brother has a saying for times when we don't get any rain. It is "It has been so long since a good rain that we have bullfrogs at the farm that are a year old and never learned to swim!"
    Also, "just a hair-bit" is an official unit of measurement in the South!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny about the bullfrogs! Oh yes, I've used a "hair-bit" before!

      Delete
  2. When someone was "no account" my Grandmama used to say they were "sorrier than gulley dirt." That was about as bad as a person could get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete