Monday, August 20, 2012

Salsa and chips: the best summer snack


Fresh tomatoes off the vine still warm from the ripening sunshine….onions so sweet you could bite into them while standing in the garden, and the cilantro and peppers – oh I wish you were here to smell this.  It perks up your senses immediately and kind of tickles your nose.  
To me, fresh salsa is the taste of summer.  We enjoy it like everyone else, as a dip with chips.  But I also use it in about a gazillion recipes that might surprise you.   I use my salsa in burgers and it’s delicious.  The tomatoes, onions and peppers cook into the hamburger making it moist and flavorful.  In the summertime, my family loves grilled burgers with my salsa at least once a week.    I also add my salsa to chili, meatball sauce, baked beans and even hamburgers.    Be sure to see some of the recipes on my website, www.laurijos.com.  And for heaven’s sake, tell me how you like to enjoy salsa.  Those of us who love food, also like to hear of new recipes and ideas!

Lauri Jo’s Southern Style Hamburgers

Mix Lauri Jo’s Salsa in ground beef, shape into patties and grill until well-done.

I like to top with fresh blue-cheese crumbles or a fresh slice of Vidalia onion and tomato.

You choose your favorite toppings and have a mouthwatering burger with friends.


Ways to Use Salsa

• Everyone loves meatballs!  Melt our salsa and pepper jelly together for a savory, sweet glaze that will keep everyone coming back for more!

• Add our salsa to your chili for an extra kick.

• Make amazing hamburgers by mixing in some of our salsa!


As always, preserving the south, one jar at a time.
Lauri Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment