Friday, August 10, 2012

Southern Memories

A sweet honeysuckle bush near my house!

If you’re like me, summertime in the south can bring back so many good memories.  To this very day, when I walk by and smell the sweet fragrance of honeysuckle vines, a wonderful memory rushes back to me.  I was around four or five years old when I used to wander between my house and my grandparent’s house (they lived next door.)  The sweetness of the honeysuckle vines filled the air like perfume.   I loved picking one honeysuckle after another and getting a pin-drop of honey to taste out of each one.  Now that I think about it, it was a lot picking for a tiny taste of honey!   But it was just the fun of trying each one, never knowing if the next one was going to give more honey than the last.  Ahhhhh, summertime.  If you have a favorite memory, please share!  It makes me happy to hear the stories. 

Speaking of honey, I want to share an old recipe of mine...  


Touch of Honey Biscuit Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup cold butter
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon honey

Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk and honey just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times.















2.Roll out to 3/4 in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.


...And I love to add a touch of honey to my tea... Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment